I am in love with SPRINGTIME SALADS!
It’s that time of the season when so much beautiful produce is readily available to enjoy and celebrate…!!!
Here are a few tips to creating an amazing summer salad:
- Choose your favorite, colorful fruits and veggies
- Fruits and veggies must be ripe (i.e. ready to eat), juicy, and ideally from local farms
- Use herbs! Chives (stems and flowers), cilantro, dill, and basil are all great options.
Because this recipe uses several different fruits and veggies, you don’t need a lot of everything….which keeps the costs down low. And because you will likely have leftover ingredients, you can make this recipe again <3
RAW Springtime Salad
- Yield: 1 very large or 2 medium servings
- Cost: $2.00-3.00
- Prep: 10 mins
- 2 cups arugula
- 3 cups spring lettuce
- 1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large grapefruit, peeled
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 small handful basil (fresh), minced
- Few sprigs of mint (fresh), minced
- Few chive stems (fresh), minced
- (Optional) Few chive flowers (fresh)
- 1 small handful of hemp seeds
- 1-2 tbsp juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Knife and cutting board (so simple)
- Wash and dry your greens using a salad spinner or paper towels. Set the greens into a large mixing bowl.
- Thinly slice the celery and carrot, and add to the greens.
- Peel the grapefruit and slice the avocado, and add.
- Mince the basil, mint, and chive stems, and add.
- Add the chive flowers, and mix well.
- Sprinkle on the remaining ingredients. Gently stir and serve immediately.
- That’s it! Enjoy!
How to prepare this recipe in advance and take it to work
- Wash and dry the greens at home, and place them into a large container w/lid or re-sealable plastic bag. If the greens will be in the bag/container for a few days, place a paper towel at the bottom of the bag/container, and seal.
- Add all the veggies (i.e. celery and carrot) and herbs (un-cut) to the bottom of the bag/container of greens. You can cut the veggies up when you get to work…and the herbs can be broken up with your hands. However, if you are making this salad the morning prior to eating it, you can chop the veggies and herbs as described in the instructions.
- Put thegrapefruit, lemon, olive oil, and sea salt into a small container (keep in the refrigerator), and pour it over the salad before eating.